For new patients- learn how can save up to 50% off visits now through Aug 31st.Read More
Worried about your diet feeling totally out of balance during and after Ramadan? The decisions of what to eat during suhoor and iftar can be difficult. Here's 3 tips to get you through the next month.Read More
This TED talk is a must share! It's the seeds of change beginning to sprout from a health care providers standpoint. Doctors challenging current paradigms will change health delivery.Read More
Corporate wellness programs have been debunked by the RAND report as cost ineffective and useless. Find out my perspective on how-to 360 these programs to bring true value.Read More
A naturopathic discussion on Obamacare. Are your trusted alternative health providers included? Here's what you can do to take action before the health exchanges take effect beginning in October.Read More
Which protein powder is right for me? There are many many choices out there some vegetarian and some animal derived. Does it really matter? The answer is yes!Read More
The need for this article from a doctors perspective is long overdue! If you've ever wondered how to choose a protein powder, look no further. This blog series "Protein Powders: The Expose" will educate you on how to choose protein powders. There are so many choices- even I was overwhelmed!Read More
I know I make it seem so easy, but the "what and how" of the juicing effort can be a HUGE barrier to starting or maintaining. So I took the liberty of finding you local options for juiceries as well as a collection of recipes that range from simple to gourmet. This should take the big question mark out of what to make.Read More
Officially, it's spring- we have begun cleaning and
organizing many areas in life (or maybe not). If you still haven't got around to doing that body cleanse, I’d like to lend you a helping hand.
If you are on the go and truly want to cleanse your body. This basic recipe I’m sharing is not new, or a prolific epiphany, but is the crux of doing any detox. It's quick and easy and can be made in the juicer or blender. Many skip past this basic recipe not understanding the power behind the simplicity, and that’s why I’d like to focus on it.
Starting a cleanse is easy as 1-2-3:
- PIck a length of time
- Set your goals
- Watch this video
This is where people FAIL on doing cleanses- as anything else with your life- it has to be planned. Even if you plan on buying the juice- stock up ahead of time! Alot more to discuss here. If you have a medical concern, you need to pick certain combinations veggies to start changing your body on a cellular level- this is where you enlist my help.
This green juice recipe provides many nutrients for basic detoxification. Not that other combinations don’t, but again this is about K.I.S.S.
The Why and the How:
Use these 5 elements when building a detox/cleanse juice:
- Volume Builder
1. Many folks bypass #1 because greens are bitter, unable to get good volume or some other tragic excuse. Powerhouse nutrients in greens are: Beta Carotene, Folic Acid, Basic Electrolytes (Magnesium, Calcium), Isothiocyanates, Flavonoids, Vitamins K, C, Iron, and of course Fiber. Most of the anti-inflammatory, cancer fighting, and brain nourishing nutrients are contained within these beautiful green leaves. These veggies are vital in any juice that you build. You should always have at least 1 green leafy in your juice. Ex: Kale, Spinach, Collard, Parsley, Dandelion, Cilantro, Wheatgrass, Watercress, Arugula
2. Volume in juices comes from pulpy veggies or fruits ex) Celery, Broccoli and Cauliflower stems, Melons, Onions, Bell Peppers and Cucumbers. All are high in fiber and electrolytes. Great for rehydrating pre-big event, pre-game day, post workout, and post-saturday night
3. Preservatives- Fruits and Veggies high in Vitamin C will help with slowing the oxidation process of juicing. Storing in the fridge and consuming soon after preparing is important. Ex) Lemons, Limes, Grapefruit (do not use with most pharmaceutical prescriptions), Pomelos, Bell Peppers, Kiwis, Guavas
4. Eliminators- Adding vasodilators like warming spices, ginger, garlic can help with opening up blood vessels and allowing better elimination of toxins.
5. Taste- Making a separate smoothie with fruits or juicing in root veggies, apples, carrots can add the sweetness & flavor to the green juice. It should not be the predominant veggies or fruit used unless it’s the focal point. Here’s where you have to be careful with the sugar content aka glycemic index. I've seen patients spike blood sugar by overdoing it on the sweet.
If you haven't already- watch this video, check out the Dirty Dozen and Clean 15 list, and try this recipe for a tasty and powerful cleanser:
Green Powerade Ingredients:
- ½ cup Cucumber
- ½ Bunch of Spinach, Kale, Swiss Chard
- 5 Celery Stalks
- ½ small bunch Parsley
- 2 Green Apples
- ½ inch Ginger
- 1 Lemon- no skin, retain white pith if juicing/ use squeezed juice if blending
- Add ice during blending and afterwards if juicing
- Place all ingredients in the juicer in the order listed
- Blendtec: Press the Soup Button-it will not get hot due to the ice
- VitaMix: Select VARIABLE, speed #1. Turn on machine and quickly increase speed to #10; then to HIGH. Run for 1½ minutes or until smooth.
- Store in glass jars in the fridge
- Enjoy, Enjoy!